Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Kindle unlimited

I signed up for kindle unlimited a few months back.  I've been up and down on my feelings about the service.  for those of you who do not know, Kindle unlimited is $9.99 a month, you can check out up to 10 books that are on the service for as long as you want, but only 10 at a time.  they also offer a free month trial period.  When you decide to cancel your subscription, all the books are returned.
To the author whose book you are reading, if you read past 10% they get a small amount ( i have no idea what this amount is) for allowing that book to be in the program.
So the Plus
1.) Lots of books to read that are not always free (remember i am cheap)
2.) good way to find Indie authors without tossing money at an unknown
3.) you can read as many books a month as you want
4.) I've read several great series i otherwise would not have read for $10 a month!
And the Minus
1.) Lots of my favorite authors do not participate
2.) Missing out on a lot of great books because my monthly book money is going to unlimited
3.) Might encourage you to read to much
4.) might be addicting
5.) rumor is it does not pay the author much
6.) rumor is if an author sells their books on other platforms (aka ibooks, nook) they can not participate
7.) this one is big, NOTHING TICKS ME OFF MORE THEN STARTING A SERIES ON UNLIMITED AND THE AUTHOR REMOVING IT SO I CAN'T FINISH IT

Over All I find Kindle Unlimited to be a great deal.  I've paid monthly without complaint.  I cancelled my subscription this month because i am back logged with free books to read and books to read for review.  I don't see why i would pay if i'm not using it.  So overall,, It's a pretty decent deal for the reader, it will bring new readers to writers, but i'm not sure how it treats the author.